Thursday, August 5, 2010

Introduction

Hello,

Most of you probably already know Brooks and I have been planning this "ride" since last fall. The TAT (Trans America Trail) is a series of dirt roads, 2 track trails, and  single track paths that run approximately 5200 miles from Jellico, TN to Port Clinton, Oregon. The creator of this "trail" has spent over eleven years putting it together, revising it, making changes to it, and producing maps and route sheets for it.


We have two friends who will also be riding some of the distance with us, Rich and Jon will be leaving with us from Jellico, on Monday morning 8/8/10. They will stay with us about 10 days, at which time they will leave the trail, and return directly home, so they may return to work. Brooks and I will continue to the West coast. We will cross a total of 11 states in this journey. 

This is my first ever Blog, so I may take a few days working out the bugs. Brooks, Rich and Jon may be making some of the entries also. I will try to post an update almost every evening, and include afew pictures from the days ride. 


I believe there is a place you the reader, can click, and make a comment about the blog....I'm hoping there is also a way we will be able to answer your comment if needed.


I have also set up a public page to view our SPOT tracking device information on. That page is: 
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0iHbPn9uOediBYy8oq0zxfzFmqc30qLl0

If you click on the link (or copy and paste it to your browser line), it will take you to the page. On this page you will see exactly where we are all the time. It tracks us by satellite. 

Check back tomorrow, Friday, and I will have added another post.





 

7 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK, FAIR WEATHER, NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS, AND NO SPILLS!
    MAYNARD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug & Brooks,
    I haven't met you guys YET, but Pete Shaw is a dear friend of mine and introduced me to the TAT concept about two years ago. I'm so envious of your upcoming adventure. Maybe Pete and I will be able to join you next year. Maynard's wishes come from me too. Please take and post as many pictures as your time allows.
    Blue skies,
    Skip Harrison, Mandeville, LA (CRF-230, KLR-650, GL1800S)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maynard,

    Thanks..this will be the most work (& fun) I've done all summer. Doug

    Skip:
    Good to meet you. Really enjoyed riding the Trans Labrador Highway with Peter and Don in 2008. We're planning on the Continental Divide ride for 2011,,Later, Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doug,
    Hey it's Jim Orbanek here. Just got hooked up with your two web sites. I'll be watching. Good luck. Will pass along to K at the cottage.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, all...happy riding, lots of adventures, wonderful vistas, and safe returns; looking forward to sharing the adventures virtually!

    Carol J

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! Hope you are having a great time. Tell Jon Debbie says hello! I love following the GPS to see where you guys are. What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys, this is Jon's sister, Mary, from near Dallas, TX.

    You should come a little further south - it's only 105 real temp here today. Hope you are having a good ride!I'm expecting the Ozarks are a little cooler for you and beautiful. Watch out for those Razorbacks!

    ReplyDelete